Another favorite among our hundreds of matcha recipes is Epic Matcha’s High Tea Matcha Scones. They’re delicate, delicious, and provide a healthy boost where most sinful treats fall short. So you can eat these matcha scones with the confidence of knowing you’re get a ton of nutrition. From antioxidants to vitamins and minerals, 1 serving of matcha green tea is equivalent to drinking over 10 cups of regular green tea.
(In fact, you’d be surprised just how much health is packed into our matcha recipes. Refresh yourself on matcha green tea benefits.)
Our High Tea Matcha Scones are perfect for breakfast or anytime. Their inviting aroma and hearty texture make this matcha recipe something you’ll want to have around the house for a quick breakfast. After all, breakfast is the most important meal of the day.
High Tea Matcha Scones RecipePublished: 2015-11-30
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup frozen butter
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon Epic Matcha green tea powder
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 1/4 tablespoon lime zest
- 1/4 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- Prepare a baking sheet by lining with parchment paper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Add flour, sugar, matcha, baking powder, salt and baking soda into a large bowl.
- Whisk to combine until all ingredients are evenly dispersed.
- Use a cheese grater to grate the butter into the dry ingredients and mix.
- Add half of the lemon, lime and orange zest.
- Work the butter and zest into the dry ingredients with your hands until the butter and zest is evenly combined with the dry ingredients.
- In a smaller bowl combine sour cream and the egg. Whisk.
- Stir egg mixture into the flour until large clumps begin to form.
- Use your hands to knead the dough in the bowl to form a ball.
- Flour your work surface and transfer the dough to the floured surface.
- Roll out the dough until it is about 3/4 inch thick.
- Sprinkle with remaining zest as well as a little sugar.
- Cut into triangles and place onto the baking sheet.
- Place onto the second to lowest rack in the oven and bake for about 15 minutes or until golden.
- Allow to cool before serving.
To make the flavor of these scones more intense, try adding more matcha green tea powder or citrus zest. You’d be surprised what a little extra matchacan do to any of the already awesome matcha recipes. On the other hand, adding freeze dried fruit to this recipe for matcha scones can add another dimension of flavor to this already delicious recipe. Before you get too adventurous with your additions, try using blueberries or strawberries to see how creative you want to get with this recipe. It’s easy to put too much in these matcha scones, so add in ingredients gradually and taste as you go.
Make a few scones to keep around the house, or double the recipe and bring these delicious High Tea Matcha Scones to your party and impress your guests. They’re a perfect replacement for your morning latte and even better at bake sales. The unique green color attracts the eyes and the taste leaves everyone craving another. Once yours are finished, leave your thoughts on this matcha recipe in the comments.
Share this Recipe