Amazing Black Bean Burgers with Matcha Basil Aioli (Recipe)
MOUTH-WATERING BURGERS WITH AN UNEXPECTEDLY SAVORY MATCHA BASIL AIOLI
Ready for some absolutely delicious black bean burgers matcha basil aioli?
This recipe will quickly become a favorite meal. The addition of matcha aioli is a healthy and flavorful surprise, and the texture of the half-mashed/half-whole beans with the toasted pecans is perfection.
Besides being delicious, the matcha basil aioli is great for you because of the matcha green tea powder you’ll be using. Matcha is a natural immune system booster, a detoxifier, and a warrior against all sorts of health issues, such as diabetes, Alzheimer’s, stroke, and even some types of cancer. It’s an energy-giver, a calorie-buster, and a relaxer that you will quickly see the benefits from.
Plus, matcha tea powder can be added to just about any recipe to give you a huge dose of antioxidants at any time.
The bottom line: these black bean burgers matcha basil aioli are delectable, and the aioli is a power-punch of health!
Black Bean Burgers Matcha Basil Aioli Recipe
(FOR THE BURGERS)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small carrot, peeled and shredded
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 medium green pepper, diced
- 1 teaspoon coarse kosher salt
- 2 15-ounce cans black beans, divided
- 1/2 cup toasted pecans
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
(FOR THE AIOLI)
- 10 large fresh basil leaves
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled
- 4 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup extra- virgin olive oil
- 4 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon Epic Matcha green tea powder
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Salt and pepper
(OPTIONAL, FOR SERVING)
TO MAKE THE BURGERS:
- Preheat your oven to 350ºF. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet over medium-low heat, swirling pan to coat.
- Add carrot, onion, garlic, and bell pepper. Salt and cook these, stirring occasionally until the vegetables are soft and the onion is translucent (about 8 minutes).
- Drain 1 can black beans and put them into a food processor. Add pecans and the vegetable mixture, and pulse until the mixture becomes a coarse paste.
- Drain the remaining can of beans and add them into a medium bowl.
- Add the puréed bean mixture, and stir to combine.
- Add the eggs, bread crumbs, and red pepper flakes, and stir together.
- Mound 1/2 cupfuls of the mixture onto the parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Press on the mounds lightly to flatten, remembering to leave space between the burgers.
- Bake until completely dry and a little crisp (about 45 minutes).
TO MAKE THE BURGERS:
- Purée the basil, garlic, yolks, lemon juice, matcha powder, and Dijon in a food processor or blender.
- Gradually drizzle in 1/2 cup olive oil while the food processor or blender is still running until the mixture is thick and smooth, and the oil is completely incorporated.
- Season with salt and pepper.
Yield 7 burgers, 1 cup aioli
To learn how to make more amazingly tasty meals and drinks using matcha powder, download our recipe book or visit our Epic Matcha blog!