Gingerbread cookies burst out of the Dark Ages with the addition of matcha.
You know how, during the holidays, there are always those friends who you offer a cookie to and they say, “I can’t have gluten!” or “I’m a vegan, remember?”
Or maybe it’s you who’s the gluten-free vegan! Either way, now everyone can be happy because we have for you—ta da!—vegan, gluten-free gingerbread cookies made with the all-powerful matcha! And they just happen to be absolutely delicious.
The matcha, which gives this classic holiday cookie an extra exciting element, is an antioxidant-packed green powder that’s great for adding not only to baked goods, but also savory dishes, drinks, and smoothies. By adding it to these gingerbread cookies, you’ll be doing your body a favor because matcha powder provides extra energy, an immunity boost, and helps fight off serious health issues, such as diabetes, heart disease, Alzheimer’s, and even some types of cancer.
So yes, these matcha gingerbread cookies are quite difficult to argue with!
Made with gingerbread spices, avocado, and of course matcha tea powder, these sugar-dusted matcha gingerbread cookies will quickly become a holiday favorite. They’re smooth and light, sweet and also nutty. Enjoy!
Matcha Gingerbread Cookies RecipePublished: 2016-12-21
- 1 cup sweet rice flour
- 1/2 cup finely ground almond flour
- 1/2 cup chestnut flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Epic Matcha green tea powder, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2/3 cup + 1/2 cup sugar, divided
- 1/3 cup mashed avocado
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons grated fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup roughly chopped candied ginger
- Preheat your oven to 375ºF, and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flours, 1 teaspoon of the matcha, the baking soda, cinnamon, salt, allspice and pepper, and set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat 2/3 cup of the sugar with the avocado, olive oil, fresh ginger, and vanilla until it’s creamy and smooth (about 2 minutes).
- Beat the flour mixture into the sugar mixture in two additions and, when almost combined, stir in the candied ginger. (It will be a thick, tacky dough.)
- Combine the remaining sugar and matcha on a large plate. Divide the dough into 12 even pieces and roll in between your palms, forming a compact dough ball.
- Press each ball into the matcha sugar, and flatten to a 1/4-inch- thick disk, coating the bottom and sides with the sugar.
- Place onto the prepared baking sheet, sugar-side up, and spaced evenly apart. Note: The cookies won’t spread during baking.
- Bake, rotating halfway through, for 8–10 minutes.
- Finally, let cool on the sheet tray for at least 5 minutes, serve, and enjoy!
Yield 1 dozen cookies
There’s a reason that matcha has become the number-one superfood! It unlocks your potential, both physically and mentally. To learn how to make more amazingly tasty treats and drinks using matcha powder, download our recipe book, or visit our Epic Matcha blog!